Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

25 July 2009

One week down

So my first real week as a SAHM is over (i.e. a week where I am at home and Champ is not in daycare for 3 days per week!). I had a great week with my best boy. We did lots of things that I haven't had a chance to do with him before.

We spent an afternoon sitting at Champ's table while I coloured in his colouring book and he stuck stickers on his book, then removed them to put on his hand, then back on his book, then on his nose, rinse, repeat. All afternoon.

We went to library story time. I used to take him to rhyme time when he was younger as it is designed for babies and is mostly singing and rhyming. Since I went back to work though, the rhyme time day clashed with work so we haven't been in ages. Meanwhile, somewhere along the way, Champ grew up and is now in the older age group for story time. It was great. It was a bit beyond his current concentration levels (5 books and they were a little long for him), but he was pretty well behaved with a bit of encouragement and will soon understand what is expected of him for the session. He also loved the colouring activity at the end of the session.

I made some playdough for Champ! I was so excited to do this as I remember my Mum doing it for me when I was young. I made two colours and boy is it good that it is non-toxic and eatable. He is sneaky though, he never ate any when I wasn't watching (my sister was playing too and vouches for him) but as soon as I came in to the room again it was straight in the mouth. I have now stopped reacting and he is getting better at not eating it. We now have approximately 2/3 of the playdough we started with, the rest I have just thrown in the bin as I changed Champ's dirty nappy.

Speaking of nappies, I have been inspired by Sunny; Champ and I started using modern cloth nappies. They are great and I love the feel of Champ's toosh as I cuddle him. No more plastic sounds, just utter softness. Of course it will take a while until the investment pays off in terms of cost because those things are so expensive. At least most of the ones I got are one size fits all (from newborn to toilet training!) so this next little munchkin will have to help pay them off.

I also bought Champ some step stools this week. I used to plonk him in front of the TV for about 20 minutes in the evening as I prepared the evening meal (with as little effort and time as possible - steamed veggies with pan seared steak/chicken/chops 3 nights a week sound bad?). He no longer wants a bar of the TV for anymore than 5 minutes a day (who wants the Wiggles when I can have Mummy's undivided attention) and loves 'helping' me by 'washing' the vegetables. After a rather nasty accident (blood nose) involving a 19 month old standing on the kitchen chair at the sink (recipe for disaster or what?), I opted for a $3 plastic stool which is no more than 15 cm from the ground but allows Champ to see what Mummy's doing that is sofascinating on top of the counter. I also got him one for the bathroom so that he can wash his hands (which he loves to do infinite times per day) without me having to bend over and carry him.

It has been a pretty good week in the lemoncake household. I quite like being a SAHM! I'll leave you with some photos of us around the house, soaking up the winter with the heater on full blast (just so that Champ could run around in just his new cloth nappies and Mummy can squeeze his adorable legs whenever she wants).

5 comments:

  1. So cute!! Love the cloth diapes. :) And Bean has that same Glow Worm in the last pic.

    It has been almost a year since I quit my job to stay home full time. I can't believe how quickly it has flown by! I consider it one of my greatest blessings that I can spend this time with my munchkin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always planned on being a SAHM and hopefully our financial situation will allow it. I think its great that you are now being able to stay at home with Champ everyday! I bet he is loving having his mummy around everyday!

    Where did you get your cloth nappies from? If everything works out this time around, I am planning on using cloth nappies but don't know where to look besides Ebay :P LOL
    Will be home (in Oz) in 2 weeks so thought I might have a look around then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got mine from baby behinds which is an aussie (queensland) company. You can buy them in shops or online but I got mine through a consultant because I wanted to ask qeuestions and see them first. I have heard since thouhg that they are not the best (a bit slow drying time) and that eenie are really good. Again you can buy them online so you should be able to get them delivered in Japan when you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you survived -- make that THRIVED in your first week. It sounds like you had som much fun. As for the kitchen helping without nasty falls, I want one of these: Learning Tower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good time! Great pics too!!

    ReplyDelete