Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

10 January 2010

Talking about boobies (TMI - sorry)

My breasts are sore! They have been for over a week actually, but they are getting sorer by the day!

I am not going to start jumping up and down about pregnancy symptoms thinking that they mean the pregnancy is progressing well. After how strong my morning sickness was with Muscles, my mind will not be put to rest by a bit of nausea.

However, in the last two pregnancies I have not had sore breasts. This only worried me mildly. I had only stopped breastfeeding Champ 2 months before falling pregnant with Turtledove, and, as recently as last month I was able to squeeze little drops of milk from my right breast at will. Thus, I put my lack of soreness down to them not needing to reestablish themselves because the ability to produce milk had never gone away. But a little part of me always worried that my breastfeeding would not go well since I didn't get the tenderness.

Now I am happy to report that my left breast is so sore that I could not possibly lie on my stomach and my right one is a little tender. I am not classifying this as a symptom that makes me more confident about the health of this pregnancy. That won't happen until (God willing) we make it to the 12 week mark and beyond. But I am more relaxed about my potential to breastfeed Lucky if we make it that far.

You see, I am not really a 'baby person'. Of course babies are adorable, especially once they are a few months old and have grown into their skin! I am more of a toddler person. I loved Champ as a baby. I love Champ even more as a toddler. The one thing that I miss from those baby days is breastfeeding.

Champ did feed a little into his second year. But toddler feeding is vastly different to baby feeding. I miss those long contented feeds, the closeness, the knowing that I was giving him the best start and I miss not having to do dishes after he had his lunch.

I can. not. wait. to breastfeed again. I never thought I'd be so happy to have sore boobies!

3 comments:

  1. I missed your BFP post (you were so subtle about it).

    Congrats! Sending so much hope and strength your way for a healthy, happy pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, friend- My breasts are already killing me. I'm sleeping in a sportsbra just to keep them still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! I had a very difficult time continuing to nurse my daughter (about 20 months old then) when I found out I was pregnant. Suddenly, my boobs were incredibly uncomfortable and it felt like they were on fire when she nursed. I hated to do it, but I led her in the direction of weaning. "Boobies are sick" is the equivalent of what I told her. She caught on very quickly and we had a lovely ending to a wonderfully satisfying nursing relationship. It was a little bittersweet, but I'm so glad that it went as well as it did and I'm gearing up for baby #2.

    By the way, thanks for your comment on my post about my sis the other day. I needed that big old virtual hug- I really did!

    ReplyDelete