Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

14 January 2010

'Alone' again

Champ and I have nearly survived a week sans Daddy. Yes, my right hand man around the house is back at work. Those who have read my blog for a while may recall that Cowboy took a voluntary redundancy in the middle of last year. He then enjoyed months of being a stay-at-home-Dad-(with-wife-at-home-too) before deciding he had better search for work before it became an embarrassingly long break.

It did take him a little while, but I think it was less to do with the economy and much more to do with him enjoying surfing the net, playing with Champ and being preoccupied with his Masters studying (in that order). So, mere weeks before Christmas (the date his redundancy payment equalled what he would have earned in that time) he accepted a new job! He didn't actually start until this week though due to the summer break (and wanting to enjoy his last little bit of freedom).

So on Monday morning, Champ and I dropped him at the train station, waved goodbye and then looked at each other. 'So kiddo, what do you want to do today?'

Some parts of being the only adult in the house are immensely enjoyable (having the computer all to myself during nap times comes to mind).

Things are also a lot more organised. An extra adult in the house makes a lot more mess. Plus, me being the only one at home responsible for cooking, cleaning and washing means that I actually step up and do the tasks rather than sit back and assume he will do it while I am at playgroup with Champ. The result is that by 9.30 or so each day we have an immaculate house and fresh clothes hanging on the line outside. We'll see how long that part lasts.

It is also nice to miss Cowboy. I do recall someone somewhere once said 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder.' - I think they were on to something there. Cowboy also misses us a lot and actually ventured with me in to Champ's room last night to tuck him in before we went to bed; usually he just shakes his head and says 'If you wake him up...'.

The part I was dreading was the taking care of Champ alone again part. But that has proved to be not such a big deal. Of course the extra hands were handy when he was here especially when we arrive home from the morning's adventures at exactly Champ's lunch time ('Please help Champ to use the potty and wash his hands while I get lunch prepared'), but we are managing ok with just my hands at present.

Champ has also (surprise, surprise) grown up a lot in the 5 months since I took care of him full time solo. He can actually (shock, horror) do a little bit of independent play now. He also listens to instructions remarkably well, and even often responds appropriately.

All in all, this week has been a delight; if a little lonely of adult company.

5 comments:

  1. You are far more diplomatic than I (maybe just an all around better wife). Although I couldn't have done it without him in the first month or so, my 4 month maternity leave with Z seemed much, much longer because of being stuck in the house all day with my husband (who is a stay-at-home-dad). I get what you say about liking being able to miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you feeling these days? Hanging in there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so wonderful that you guys had that family time! My husband and I have never been both off work for more than... say... two weeks in a row, and we enjoyed every minute. I'd love to test out how long it would take before we got sick of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your first week without your hubby went okay! Congrats to him on his new job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for asking Stephanie. I am doing better (worse?) these days with an increase in pregnancy symptoms. Boobs are sore again, bleeding gums and nose and aching hips - all my classic early pregnancy symptoms! :)

    ReplyDelete