Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

07 November 2009

Non-negotiable

My darling boy Champ,

I thought I'd put this in writing so that there will be no doubt as to my meaning. Since you are not yet two years old, and even for a good year after you do turn two, having a nap is a non-negotiable part of the day.

Whilst I do realise that there is much more fun to be had playing in the sunshine, you need to sleep. I know that yesterday you made it through the day without a nap. That was a once off. Your Mummy couldn't stand any more crying, and after two hours of coercing, threatening and almost begging for you to sleep she gave up and we played in your sand pit in the shade with the hose running to cool us off. This will not be repeated.

Nor will the offer of reading quietly alone in your cot. Mummy doesn't like torn books does she?

I know that nap time comes at an unfortunate time - the hottest part of the day. Of course the hot Australian sun beating down on your blinds and the unrelenting stickiness of the day make napping a bit tougher than usual. You need to to get past that and Just Go To Sleep.

You are too young to be 'over' nap time. You need it. I need it. The world is a much happier place when nap time is adhered to. You are simply too young.

Although you are also too young to lie. Lying is quite a complex skill. You need to be able to preempt what someone else will do if you tell the truth and then deliberately say something that will cause the other person to behave in a different way. You are far too young to grasp this. And yet today you lied to me. Today at nap time you told me you had done a poo. You hadn't, had you Champ? When Mummy checked and told you your bottom was clean, you then lied again didn't you, darling boy? You said you needed the potty. But you didn't did you, sweetie?

So, can we please agree that you are 22 months old; you need sleep and you do not lie. The sleep part is the most important, mmkay?

Love always and forever,

Mummy

xxxooo

4 comments:

  1. Hilarious! My son went through the "I have a dirty diaper" phase too. Keep putting him down for his nap at the usual time and he'll eventually return to it. We've been through a few patches but they tend to be short-lived.

    Here's to a better nap time soon.

    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear. I am in complete agreement. Nap time is a must. Silly, naughty, smart Champ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in absolute fear of Bean dropping his nap.

    Please God, no.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my condolences to you - Champ already giving you nap time troubles and he is not even TWO!?! L just started that at 2 1/2, and it is touchy...we finally gave up on trying to FORCE him to sleep, removed all toys from his room except a few books, and we just put the gate up in his doorway and tell him he must at the VERY LEAST play quietly during nap time. *Usually* he ends up falling to sleep within an hour, but there are days that he does not. I agree that nap time is NON NEGOTIABLE until at least 3!! I hope Champ decides that nap time isn't so bad after all. Mommy DEFINITELY needs naptime :-)

    ReplyDelete