Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

03 June 2009

Addict

Warning: Lots of talk about poo and bottoms (Champ's not mine).

It seems that Champ has inherited my addictive personality (that is I get addicted to things easily, people are rarely addicted to my personality). I am pretty all or nothing and it seems that he is too.

At the moment we have a fruit addiction on our hands. Every moment that he is not eating, he is asking me for an 'app' (apple). This is said which such hope and a touch of demand, so, decent mother that I am, I go and wash and core an apple for my darling little prince. He then eats the apple intermittently while playing over the course of the next hour or so.

No problem, right?

Wrong. If he could, this would happen 4 times a day. The downside is that Champ could be pooing for Australia right now. I am changing 4-5 dirty nappies a day. And my active 'lil 18 month old does not like to have his nappy changed!

I have been trying to encourage other things to eat at the moment and distracting him with games and outings when I can. Because of this, I have been able to keep him down to 1-2 apples a day (plus usually a banana, pack of sultanas and maybe a mandarin). The kid eats way too much fruit.

I know this 'app' craze won't last. Over the summer it was mandarins (and they are bad when they hit his bottom, it can be red raw for a week if he has a couple of days of mandarin fever). Still occasionally when we go outside and he notices our bare mandarin tree he asks for a 'min-a-min' and waves his hand in a little gesture he uses for mandarins which I have no idea where it came from. At least we don't have an apple tree to remind him of his addiction.

Champ's other current obsession is the moon. I have started teaching him shapes and the star shape has seem to struck a cord with him. He loves pointing out stars in books when we read. Of course what is often close to pictures of stars, pictures of the moon. He was pretty happy when he could point out any 'star!' (said with the exclamation point) and 'boon' (moon) in a book and I would praise him and cuddle my clever little boy.

So after his bath one night last week I thought I'd turn off the lights and show his the moon outside through the window. He loved it! He has since seen the moon a few times when getting in or out of the car in the early evening and gets very excited. The problem with this obsession is a lbit obvious. The poor little guy rushes to the window a few times each day to see the moon. Try explaining to an 18 month old where the moon is during the day.

3 comments:

  1. That is so adorable! (Because I'm not the one changing the nappies, of course.) :)

    My little man is also a good pooper naturally... he goes at least 3 times a day. And he is also FURIOUS when it comes time to change it. It's really a battle to clean the guy up. *sigh*

    Did you decide to try cloth diapers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, we are having a 'nappy party' this month where a lady will come to the house and demonstrate their range of nappies and we can have tea and cake and choose some. A few of my friends are game enough to try them too, so we will make an afternoon tea of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. B says the same thing about me and Zo (the addictive personality thing). I think he is frightened. Just so you know, cantaloupe has the same flushing effect on a toddler. And Z already goes 2-3 times a day, but when she has cantaloupe, it's very scary.

    ReplyDelete