Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

04 March 2009

Well, I never.

Champ was not a great sleeper when he was younger. Actually he is not a great sleeper now, but he is a lot better and we can deal with it as it is currently.

But when he was younger and would wake every 35 minutes like clockwork during the day, and every hour at night, I'd listen to stories that other Mums told about their kids great sleeping feats and would think 'My kid will never do that'. I was wrong.

This week 2 things have happened that I never thought I'd see Champ do:

  1. He fell asleep in his high chair. I was preparing his lunch while he sat there waiting and eating a cracker, I turned around and he was asleep. Of course I thought something terrible had happened and woke him in a panic to find one very sleepy tot after a morning running around at playgroup.
  2. He transferred from the car to the cot without waking. On the way home from the park yesterday he fell asleep (despite me trying with all my might to keep him awake so he could sleep in his cot instead), when we got home I picked him out of the car seat, unlocked the house and turned off the alarm. He was still asleep on my shoulder (Wow!). I laid him down to out on his sleeping bag, he had a dirty nappy. I changed the dirty nappy. He stayed asleep (Wow! Wow!). I put him into his cot where he slept for another 2 hours (Wow! Wow! Wow!).
To Mums who have good sleepers, these things may not seem very big. To a Mum who has read more sleep books than she ever thought existed and lived bleary eyed for 6 months because she refused to let her baby cry it out, this is HUGE!

I credit one thing for his good sleeping (apart from a certain amount of sleep maturity as he grew). Elizabeth Pantly's book The no cry sleep solution. This book saved us!

I have a baby who sleeps (at least moderately well, most of the time!).

1 comment:

  1. Oh hooo hoooo! I wanted to weep for months as I listened to other moms describe the amazing lengths of time for which their newborns(!) would sleep. Unbelievable. Sure we were lucky for the first couple of months and then something changed....But it's gotten markedly better and I hear you about celebrating the little milestones and changes that YOU know are huge :)

    ReplyDelete