Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

30 March 2009

Baby cuddles

Once Champ stopped breastfeeding, I was expecting to experience a dramatic decline in my cuddle quota each day. I had enjoyed those 10 minutes each day when my active toddler once again became my little baby lying in his Mummy's arms. Obviously, so had Champ.

After a few nights of Champ squirming out of my arms to get into bed after his bedtime story, we had a horror couple of nights with Champ waking and screaming once a night. It is not uncommon for him to wake during the night, but usually Cowboy or I would go into his room, offer him some water or find his 'Sleepyhead' blanket for him and then we would all quickly get back to sleep. These horror nights have involved Champ screaming until we pick him up and then he just wants cuddles.

The first night, I tried staying in his room and singing to him until he fell asleep. Fast forward an hour and Champ was still tossing and turning, so I tried leaving the room - distressed crying (from Champ, and nearly from me!). Thinking Champ my be sick, I brought him into my bed where he promptly fell asleep in my arms... for 20 minutes, and then he tossed and turned so much that I had to put him back into his bed for fear that he would throw himself out of our bed. I put him back into his cot and left the room for a 2 minute breather (as I had expected the crying to continue all night). Less than 1 minute later the crying stopped and I didn't hear from him until 8 a.m.

This has since been the theme of his 'off to sleep' and nightly wakings ever since. He will cling to my neck, and cry as soon as I take him over to the cot and then cry as I finish his prayers and sing him his song, cry as I leave the room, and then stop and go to sleep. It is quick, but not painless. I can't stand to hear him cry, however he won't go to sleep when I am in the room.

The last two nights have been a lot better thanks to an idea from Cowboy (he often comes up with the ideas, I think being a little removed from the day to day situation, Dad's can often see the issue more clearly). Cowboy had the idea that Champ's 'cuddle meter' was low and I should try to top it up with some cuddles before bed.

So for the last two nights, Champ and I have had a lovely long (10 minutes, plus) cuddle after his bedtime story while sitting on our breastfeeding pillow. We just sit with the lights dimmed and his sleepy music on low and I tell his about his day and all the wonderful things we did, and give him kisses all over his face. Champ even tucks his little arm under mine, just the way I used to do for him when I fed him. I L-O-V-E, love it!

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you're picking up on this need and responding to it. Zo needs cuddle breaks at frequent intervals throughout the day. That usually means turning on a cartoon and snuggling in the recliner. Gladly, it is wonderfully cuddly and then she's ready to move on to more edifying activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been finished with bf'ing for over a year and L and I still have our snuggle time after book before he goes into his crib. Definitely a neccessity for both of us...and as the birth of this next one approaches, I feel the need for more one on one snuggle time! I find that L does not mind ;0)

    Sometimes husbands DO have good ideas, huh? LOL...

    ReplyDelete