Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

22 March 2010

What's in a name?

As we approach the 15 week mark, we have started to think seriously about names for Lucky. I am likely going to find out the gender at our 18-20 week scan, so having a name picked out would be fun (not that I am planning on letting family and friends IRL know the name).

And, no, we are not going to name our baby 'Lucky'. Actually, I call our baby Lucky to all and sundry at the moment, Cowboy on the other hand calls Lucky 'Charming' because he thinks it is a boy and 'third time is a charm' whereas I think 'third time is lucky'. You may be surprised to know this, but all of us are going by pseudonyms on this blog. I know, it is a shock that I didn't name my son 'Champ Lemoncake', I know. So I need a real name.

I have revealed on this blog before that Champ's name is Xavier. This is pronounced a little differently depending on where you come from (Americans generally say X-avier where as British and most Aussies say it with a soft X, 'Zavier') but we are not fussed on how people pronounce it. All of our friends and family call him using the British pronunciation as we liked it from a French baby name - plus it is easier to shorten it as we do to Xav (pronounced Zave). When we chose Champ's name we didn't know his gender. I was literally in labour trying to decide on a baby girl name, but we knew hands down that Champ would be Xavier if he was a boy.

When Champ was born our second preference for boys names was Sebastian. Whilst I still like this name, it is getting very popular, to the point that there are a few Sebastians in most circles that we mix in. To us, that is a big no-no. If Lucky is a boy, we currently only have one top name (again we can decide on boys names a lot easier). The name is Watson. I like it because it also starts with an unusual letter (like Xavier) and it was my Grandmother's maiden name.

If Champ had been a girl he would have been Eliza. Our other options (in no particular order) were Audrey, Violet, Madeline, Rosie, Beatrice, and a few more that I can't even remember. Eliza is not now a name I would name this baby. Only a couple on that list rate in our top ones at the moment. If Lucky is a girl, our top two names are Violet and Beatrice. I am leaning towards Violet because, again, it starts with an unusual letter (and then I would have 2 little Roman Numerals, X & V), but it is also gaining popularity, so that is one point for Beatrice.

Nicknames are something I also consider. For example I like the name Madeline but wouldn't like it to be shortened to Maddy. My philosophy on that is that if you don't like the nickname, it is too much work to spend your life asking people not to shorten your child's name. I don't mind Xav as a nickname (or 'the X-man' as some people call him!). As for nicknames with Lucky's shortlisted names I don't know how people would shorten Watson, Violet I would shorten to Vi and Beatrice to Bea (if she is a gentle soul) or Trixie (if she is a bit feisty). I think I can cope with all variations.

So, now that you know my preferences and my conditions to a name, I am opening my comments page up to suggestions:

8 comments:

  1. Good friends of ours named our son Xavier. The dad is French so he naturally prefers the soft x-sound in the pronunciation, but they get both pronunciations as well. It's a great name! I think Watson, Violet and Beatrice all sound lovely with Xavier.

    We had the exact opposite problem. We had a solid girl's name picked out but no boy's name the first time around. She made her appearance in the delivery room and that was it. But here we are 2nd time around - same problem. For a girl it seems much easier but for a boy...not so much. Could explain why at 27 weeks along we've hardly given it any thought. We know we'll just end up going in circles!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorites are Watson and Violet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love talking about names more than anything. Did you know that I write an advice column on baby naming for a major website here in the States?

    Your taste is delightful and completely in line with my own. We've had Josephine and Simon picked out for our first girl and boy for years. I can't wait to get to use them.

    I think Watson is perfect, and of your girls' names I would choose Beatrice solely because of the popularity issue. What about Beatrix? That repeats your "interesting letter" phenomenon, but on the last letter.

    I'll toss out some other modern-antique girls' names: Agnes, Henrietta, Milly, Daisy, Cornelia (I LOVE this name, nicknamed Nell, and I'm hoping I can convince Lawyer Guy one day in the future), Felicia/Felicity or Felix for a boy (fits with the lucky/charmed theme), Cora, Honor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Names are hard.
    We have several options for a girl but can't agree on any boys names!
    Watson is original but easy to spell and pronounce which is a bonus. I guess it would get shortened to 'Wats'?
    I like Violet better than Beatrice but I agree with SS that Beatrix is an option.
    Happy name hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the names that you've picked!! They are all unique names and I love the idea of honoring family members.

    DH and I have only been discussing boy names as the NT Scan doc said she was 90-95% sure we're having a boy. Right now, William is our top choice, but he will go by Liam. My grandfather and brother are both named William and DH had a brother who died as a baby who was named William. His best friend is also named William. They all went by Bill, Billy, Will, etc, so Liam seems like a great choice for us.

    DH likes it, but isn't ready to commit-- he wants to keep looking to make sure there's not a great name that we missed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your name choices. Beatrice was a favorite friend of mine growing up in Italy (where it is pronounced bea-tree-che), so I'm biased towards that one. But Violet is pretty too. One of my favorite baby girl names for ours is Vivian, another V name :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just posted on names (although I am not actually pregnant), so click on over for my 2 cents and my bloggy-buddies' weigh in. Sloper said her friends were posting on names, too, so I scrolled her blog list to see who it was, and it was you! Congrats on being pregnant!!!!

    I've thought of Violet for a middle name, and I love Beatrice. Except I am not as fond of the American pronunciation (BEE-trice) as I am of the Spanish (Bay-a-TREECE). I once knew a Bay-a-TREECE who went by Bay-A for short, and it was just lovely. Better than "Bee".
    Good luck and see if any of my buddies have inspired you!

    ReplyDelete