Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

11 October 2009

Mummia

Champ took quite a while to say my name. I distinctly remember that he could say cheese, dada, bird and book before he showed any interest in saying the name of his most loved thing - me! We used to joke that he didn't say my name because he just saw me as an extension of himself, not anything that he would ever need to call - I was already always there.

When he did finally say 'Mumma' I thought I would never get tired of hearing him say my name. I was wrong.

This week, wherever he is, whatever he is doing he randomly calls out 'Mummia!'; he could be happy as Larry (happy guy, that one) playing by himself, not actually needing anything and I still here 'Mummia!'.

Conversations can go like this:

'Mummia!';
'Champ?',
'Mummia.';
'Champ.';
'Mummiaaaaa!';
'Aaaaarrrggghhh!';
'Mummia? Play?'.


If you are curious about the use of 'Mummia' rather than 'Mummy', we are too. At the moment Cowboy and I are 'Daddia' and 'Mummia' respectively. The only conclusion we have drawn is that it is a misunderstanding by Champ about social norms.

You see Champ's actual name (I know you are very surprised that his real name is not Champ) is:




(Sans the 'I heart' part)




So you see, when pronounced, it ends in 'ier' OR 'ia' to an Aussie.

So we figure Champ thinks that '-ia' is a polite thing to add to people's name. Like the Japanese have '-san' or '-chan'. If you come up with a better reason, we would love to hear it.

Must go, Champ calls.

3 comments:

  1. I love his real name! Very cute. :) Bean is the same way, except he calls me MOM. It cracks me up, he says it very clearly, much more so than most words -- and not mommy or mama, but a well-articulated MOM. Sometimes he just walks around the house, even right past me with barely a glance, saying: "Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom." So I say, "Bean. Bean. Bean. Bean." We're brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just adorable :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! He is generalizing. That's intelligent.

    ReplyDelete