Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

09 March 2010

Immersed

It occurs to me sometimes that friends of mine may think that I have 'lost myself' since I got married and fell pregnant (one in the same to me since Champ was essentially a honeymoon baby).

They probably breathed a sigh of relief as I returned to part time work when Champ was 11 months old, expecting the 'old' Red to come back and devote lots of energy to my career as a Charted Accountant. I am certain they couldn't understand what had come over me as I quit that job 6 months later in order to stay home and raise my son myself.

I have friends who I am sure now find me 'boring'. They think that as I am at home with Champ all day everyday (which is not actually true since everyday we have at least one activity such as music or playgroup to attend) I have become 'just' a Mum and that I need to be 'freed'.

This 'free Mum' argument really confuses me as I feel no need to be 'freed' - freed from what anyway? Freed from being a Mum? Freed from the most rewarding and satisfying, not to mention fun, thing I have ever done? If nothing else, I think they should be freed from sitting at the same desk everyday, working with the same people and having to wear highly uncomfortable clothing for 50 hours a week.

I fully admit that Champ consumes me. But I am happy to be consumed. I am happy to hand over a handful of years of my life to be at the beck and call of him, to guide his upbringing and to have lots of fun, laughs and kisses. I am happy to spend a few years of my (hopefully long) life raising my son.

I am happy to immerse myself in all aspects of motherhood. Because it is true, I am immersed in motherhood. I spend my days trying to stimulate Champ and give him a balanced start to life. I spend spare time reading parenting books and planning how we can spend our next adventurous day.

For these next few years, I am 'just' a mother. I am 'just' the most important person in someones life. I am 'just' raising a son to the best of my ability so that he may one day become the best person he can be.

And I am 'just' loving it.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! What a great attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all I've ever wanted to do!! I think it's the most important job in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here here!

    Fortunately I've not had to deal with any of that attitude from others... my long-time friends are all early procreators and most are SAHMs who feel the same way I do. Then we moved while I was pregnant with Bean so all of our new friends were made through the co-op preschool and MOMS Club of other SAHMs.

    I believe you can't have everything in life all at once, so I'll focus on what I can have at the time. My career can wait, traveling can wait, and fancy outings with the girls can wait. Mommyhood is me!

    ReplyDelete